Thursday, February 16, 2012

That's Not It

While collecting the history of a non-verbal patient with advanced dementia who came in via EMS:
Pt's son: Yeah, so, she was over there at the nursing home, and her blood pressure was high, so they gave her some insulin, and then that was when we were gonna send her over here and-
Awesome baby nurse coworker: Wait, insulin for her blood pressure? I'm pretty sure that's not what happened, sir. Are you sure?
Pt's son: Yeah! I know it was insulin! I was there!
Awesome baby nurse coworker: Well. It was the nursing home. Maybe they did do that.

4 comments:

  1. OMG, that is a)probably completely accurate and b) the reason why, if I make it to an advanced age, my children are instructed to put me out to pasture when I can no longer care for myself. Literally, wheel me into a pasture somewhere, pin a note to me and eventually I'll kick off, and some rancher will find me. Has to be more peaceful and gentler than a nursing home that would give you insulin for your blood pressure. geeesh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe the patient's son misheard Inderal as insulin?

    ReplyDelete
  3. high blood pressure...high blood sugar. Same thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ding ding ding ding....I think you get the prize!

      Delete