Anyway. Point is, I've received some internets awards/recognition from both Living Dead Nurse and Rachedy, both who are always awesome. You should probably be reading their stuff at this moment.
Rules are as follows:
1.Thank the blogger that gave you the award.
2.Sum up your blogging philosophy, motivation, experience using 10 words.
3. Pass the award on to 10 other blogs you feel have substance.
Listen, I don't know if I deserve this all the time- I don't know if entries solely about how it's a bad idea to piss your pants to be hateful really count as substance, but thanks! I'm glad people are reading it.
I don't know if I have blogging philosophy, per se, I try to make the experience and thoughts I have make sense and I try to avoid abusing the English language. Occasionally I am aware of what a jaded douchebag I sound like and I try to interject a story or two about nice people.
My reading list makes about as much sense as my blog, which is to say, not much at all, but the above blogs included, I also enjoy these:
1.Madness: Tales of an Emergency Room Nurse- This lady is pretty much a badass. Not only are her posts hilarious, but she is full of righteous indignation over all the fuckery the hospitals pull on their nurses every day, and she expresses it eloquently. As someone who can't go three sentences without swearing, I highly respect this quality.
2.Regretsy- Yeah, pretty much unrelated to anything medical at all, but an amazing blog that is so hilarious that it may or may not have made me pee my pants a little multiple times with laughter. For those of you unfamiliar with the concept, the author finds the most terrible, overpriced crap on Etsy, the Ebay of handmade goods, and makes fun of them. Fabulous.
3.Call Me Nurse aka Retired- Continuing the trend of me absolutely loving 100% of the Canadians I come into contact with, this incredibly nice and insightful lady was one of my earliest blog followers. She also has an epic blog of her own with lots of great stories about her nursing career, which was all over the map and a great reference for any of you nursing student readers trying to get a grasp on what you want to do with your lives. Unfortunately, the Canadian governing bodies that be are pulling some 1984 style tomfoolery with her at the moment, so she may or may not be on permanent blog hiatus. Here's hoping no- either way, read her archives.
4. NurseXY- Nursing student and future ICU murse, and wise beyond his years as a nurse. Also has quite the funny way of wording things. My favorite recently "It's an ICU room, not a freaking clown car". Yes, NurseXY, I think you'll do just fine.
5. What Claudia Wore- One of the many other non-med blogs I love. As a failed fashion design major, I have a weakness for fashion blogs, and as a child of the 90s, I have a serious weakness for funny blogs based on the clothing choices of characters in The Babysitter's Club series.
6. Push It! Push It Real Good!-Blog about the scariest subject ever to an ER nurse (cue ominous organ music)...Labor and Delivery. Written by a real world friend of mine with a pretty darn interesting perspective- she worked for years as a Doula and now works as an L&D RN in a county hospital that generally relies on a pretty traditional medical model, and fights the hella hard battle to give these ladies the option of a more natural birth. Overall sweet and well written stuff over here.
7.New Nurse Insanity- Fundus Chop!- I've linked to her before, but I'll do it again, damn it. Hilarious blog. Eerie personality similarities. Want to drink a beer with this person.
8.STFU Parents- Another frequently checked non med blog, devoted to oversharing as it relates to children on Facebook. Although the title may throw some off, I think everyone can agree with the sentiments present here- please don't take pictures of your children's shit and post it on Facebook. Don't take pictures of your child's head coming out of your vag and post them on Facebook. Thanks.
9. A Nurse and Her Camera- Funny blogger and a damn good photographer.
10.Glossed Over-A long time favorite blog- Wendy Felton is a totally BAMF. She reads tons of women's magazines and points out the ridiculousness while being angry and funny. She updates rather infrequently but for reasons that make me like her even more, alluding to some body issues all too familiar for me here. Overall awesome feminist writing that makes me slow clap in my living room to my houseplants.
Well, there you go. Go read all these lovely blogs and I will take a little more time to edit the 2 or 3 posts I started and ended up hating/realized they made no sense that actually related to medicine/and or my job.