Wednesday, October 24, 2012

The Last Time

Woo.  Worked my last shift at Hood Hospital EVAR this week, y'all. And I say that definitively because I was thinking about picking up some shifts over there, but yeah, F that noise.  I honestly thought I would feel more upset about leaving.  I felt upset about leaving some of the doctors and PAs, because I really will probably never see them again.  Turns out a few of them also work at my new hospital- unfortunately not the ones I would necessarily want to see again, but oh well.  One of the most poignant moments for me was saying goodbye to big eastern european doc, who has worked there since I was a baby nurse and has yelled at me many a time.  He was always someone whose respect I sought, although I was pretty much convinced he hated me and thought I was a complete moron up until about a year ago, when he seemed to start tolerating me.  When I went to say goodbye to the docs that morning he actually got up out of his chair and hugged me and said he would miss me.  I really had no idea how some of the people here felt until I was saying goodbye and I saw that they actually looked really sad.
Saying goodbye to my fellow nurses was tough too- especially since the two people that I would really say were both my mentors throughout my nursing career thus far were there,  but I know we'll stay in touch.
Fortunately, they put me at triage, which was probably the most solid affirmation possible that I was making the right choice.  Nope, I sure won't miss making sick people wait for 12 hours to get seen, or getting cussed out every time I open the door to call someone to triage.  I won't miss taking care of people in chairs because there are no rooms in the back while triaging 15 people an hour at the same time. I won't miss compromising my license and questioning why I became a nurse in the first place.  I'm sad to leave everybody, but it was past time to move on.  I feel a little stupid for staying this long.  I know nowhere is going to be perfect, but I'm excited to start the next part of my life.

9 comments:

  1. Good for you!! Does that mean you're going to change the title of your blog now to "Not so Hood Hospital"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on stepping away from the horror :) I look forward to reading about your adventures at your new job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you. You recognized your workplace sucked and it wasn't you and you did something about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HECK YES! Proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, you are one of the lucky ones; you got a spot in one of the lifeboats leaving the Titanic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, it's sad to leave coworkers. But then you realize that the rest of your career suddenly doesn't suck, and it all seems like roses from there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Plus, in the end of our lives, it's just us. You have to put your own lifejacket on first before saving someone else.
    But, we still hope you get some crazy adventures in your new place. It makes for a good read.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A big, phat CONGRATULATIONS!! from the other side of the pond.
    Looking forward to your new adventures not-so-hood nurse!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Time to put it into perspective; great experiences, but time for some new ones at a place where they don't flog you. Good luck with your new job. Stay sassy, and looking forward to reading some new stuff when the honeymoon period is over!

    ReplyDelete